- What kinds of media do you accept?
We accept paper photographs, slides, photo negatives, video cassettes, reel-to-reel film, audio cassettes, vinyl records, and paper documents.
- How do I get my original materials to you?
You can bring them to our office located at 8020 N. Business Park Dr. or if you have a high volume order, we will come pick it up free of charge.
- What qualifies as a high volume order?
Orders of $500 or more we will pick up and deliver free of charge.
- Will you return my original media?
Yes. We will return your original media in the same condition as we received it.
- What if I don’t want my hard-copy photos/slides/videos/documents anymore? Will you dispose of them for me?
No. We will always return your original media to you. What you do with it after that is up to you!
- How will I receive my newly digitized media?
Digital media can be stored on CDs, DVDs, flash drives, or external hard drives depending upon size of project, media format, and your preference.
- Can I provide my own flash/hard drive for digital files?
For liability reasons, we cannot use your personal drives to deliver your digital files. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- How do I pay?
We take cash, personal checks, and credit/debit cards.
- Do I retain ownership rights to the digitized photos/videos?
- Where are my photos/videos digitized?
Most of our services are performed in-house at our office at 8020 N. Business Park Dr.
- Are my photos and videos safe? Are they handled gently?
Yes. We treat your priceless treasures as if they were our own. We store them in watertight containers and handle them with white, lint-free gloves. We take pride in keeping our facility clean and secure.
- How long will it take you to complete my project?
The amount of time it takes to complete a project depends on how much material you ask us to process. Please give us a call and we can give you an estimate based on the size of your project.
- Will you keep a copy of my files?
With your permission, Modern Reflections will keep a copy of your project for 6 months after the completion date. For an additional fee, we can store your project for longer.
- Can I order additional copies? For how long after the original order?
Yes. Additional copies are available for 6 months after your original order or longer for an additional fee.
- If I ask you to put my media on a DVD, can it be played on my home DVD player?
Yes. The DVDs we provide are compatible with a majority of DVD players. If you encounter playback issues, other formats are available.
- What is your policy on digitizing copyrighted materials?
We generally cannot digitize copyrighted materials. Please refer to our copyright policy here. (Link)
- What are your limits of liability?
Please refer to our liability policy here. (Link)
- Can I see samples of your work?
Please view our gallery.
- I have a specific question not answered here. How do I ask?
Please Contact us through any of the means on our contact page.
Photo, Slide, & Negatives Questions
- What photo/slide/negative formats do you accept?
We accept almost all photo/slide/negative formats including glass negatives.
- What digital image file formats do you offer?
Our default image file format is .jpg. Other formats are available upon request.
- Can I submit my photos if they are still in their frames, albums, or scrapbooks?
Yes. Rates for scanning these photos may differ because of the increased labor time. Please see our pricing page here (link) for reference.
- What if my photos are glued into an album?
Our flatbed scanners allow us to scan images on the pages of your album. Glued photos do not need to be removed. This prevents damage to your photos.
- How do I prepare my photos for scanning?
Modern Reflections can recommend ways to organize your photos before scanning. It is generally easier to organize your project before scanning than after.
- What if my slides/negatives are dusty?
We have professional techniques for cleaning and preparing your photos for scanning. You don’t need to clean them before bringing them to us.
- What if my photos are curled or bent?
Curled or bent photos are not an issue. Our flatbed scanner allows us to carefully scan these images individually.
- Is there a minimum or maximum number of photos for a single order?
No. We can scan as many or as few photos as you would like.
- Can I use my professionally taken photos?
Please check to see if the photographer holds the rights to your professional photos. Please refer to our copyright policy here. (link)
- At what resolution will my photos be scanned?
We prefer to scan photos at 600 DPI and slides or negatives at 4000 DPI. Other resolutions are available upon request.
- Why does resolution matter?
Resolution effects the quality of the print or resized image.
- Can I make large prints with these photo scans?
We will only work with the digital scans. You can then print the restored digital image if you want a physical copy.
- Is the order of scanning the same as the order of the original photos? Will my original photos be returned to me in the same order as I submitted them?
If your photos are organized when we receive them, we can maintain that organization as we scan them. This can be arranged when you come in to deliver your photos.
Photo Restoration Questions
- What kinds of restoration do you offer?
There is no project that we won’t attempt. Please bring your severely damaged photos in and we will see what solutions might be available for you.
- Will you repair my original photos or just the digital scans?
No, we do not repair physical media, all repairs are done to the digital copy.
- What if my photos or slides are severely discolored?
We will do our best. Severely discolored photos cannot always be completely restored, but they can usually be significantly improved.
- What if my photos are torn into multiple pieces or otherwise severely damaged?
Torn photos are digitally rebuilt.
- Can you colorize my black and white photos?
Maybe. Please come in to consult with our technicians and we’ll see if colorization is an option for your photos.
- Can you add/remove an object or person?
Yes, we can.
- Do prices differ depending on the extent of the damage?
There is a $60 hourly rate for the extent of damage repair.
- What audio formats do you accept?
We accept cassettes, micro cassettes, vinyl records, 8-tracks, and more. If you have another format, we would be happy to consult with you about it.
- What digital audio file formats do you offer?
Our default audio format is .mp3. Other formats are available upon request.
Video & Film Questions
- What video/film formats do you accept?
We accept most widely used formats.
- What digital video file formats do you offer?
We will convert your videos to .mp4, which is compatible with both PC and Mac. Other formats are available upon request.
- Can you take still pictures from the frames of video/film?
Yes, we can!
- How much will fit on a DVD?
A DVD holds about 2 hours of footage.
- Can you splice together or combine film reels?
Yes, we can!
- The box my film came in says 25ft. Why am I charged for 50ft?
Some film is double wide and double-exposed.
- Do you charge if I accidentally send in blank tapes with my order?
We understand that this may happen accidentally. If there are more than 3 blank tapes in your project, any subsequent blank tapes will be charged.
- Can you combine video tapes?
Editing can be done. However, there is a limit to how much will fit on a single DVD.
- What video quality should I expect from the digitized product?
The quality of the digitized product will be at least as good as the original. Some media formats will be improved.
- Is there copyright protection on the DVDs you make?
No. Please view our copyright policy here. (link)
- Do you include selection menus on the DVDs?
Our default for DVDs is autoplay, but customized menus are available upon request.
- Can I upload my digitized videos to social media?
Yes. The files we give you are uploadable. However, different social media websites may have limitations on the size or length of videos you can upload. We can help if you have questions.
- Can you make a DVD copy of a VHS movie I bought at the store?
No. Please view our copyright policy here. (link)
- Do you view customers’ home movies?
Yes, for possible editing purposes such as removal of tracking lines or blank screens.
Document Scanning Questions
- What kinds of documents do you accept?
We accept any paper or similarly flat items that meet our size requirements.
- What paper sizes do you accept?
We accept documents of any size up to 11×17 inches.
- Are there minimum or maximum page count requirements for documents?
No. We accept projects of any size.
- At what resolution will you scan my documents?
We prefer to scan documents at 300 DPI. Other resolutions may be available upon request.
- What if my documents contain personal or confidential information?
In order to process your documents we must handle them and perform checks for scan quality. However, our technicians typically work on multiple projects simultaneously and will not view the entirety of any one document. All of our technicians have been subjected to criminal background checks and drug tests to ensure your documents are in safe hands. We are dedicated to protecting your privacy. Your documents will be treated with discretion and respect.
- Will my documents be scanned in the order I sent them in? Will I receive my original documents back in the same order?
Yes, upon request. If your documents are organized when we receive them, we can maintain that organization as we scan them. This can be arranged when you come in to deliver your documents.
- Will you keep a copy of my documents? What if they’re confidential?
We will keep a copy of your documents for 6 months after the project completion date. You can pay an additional fee if you would like us to keep them longer than 6 months.
If your documents are confidential, you can request that we do not keep a record of your project after completion. Choosing this option means that we cannot provide you with additional copies or backup in the event that your
digital files are damaged or lost.
- What file formats are available for slideshows?
Our default file format for slideshows is .mp4. Other file formats are available upon request.
- Can you put video clips in my slideshow?
- What photos/videos should I include in my slideshow project?
Slideshows are a great way to showcase a family trip or celebrate a momentous life event. We offer consultations to help you plan your slideshow. Our technicians can assist you in selecting photos or videos, putting them in order, selecting audio, and choosing transitions and other visual effects.
- How long can my slideshow be?
It can be as long or as short as you want, but most slideshows are 15-20 minutes long.
- How long will each photo appear on the screen? How many photos fit in a given time period?
We recommend that each photo appear on the screen for 5-7 seconds, depending on the intended audience for the slideshow and the visual complexity of the photo. Five seconds per photo is a good estimate.Don’t forget that the time a photo is on-screen must include the time for transitions between photos.
- What are transitions?
Transitions are the animations between still images in a slideshow. The most common transitions are fade in and fade out, but many other options are available as well.
- Does photo orientation matter?
Yes. Landscape orientation photos are better for slideshows because most display screens are wider than they are tall. You can use portrait orientation photos, but they will appear smaller in order to fit on the screen and they will have large empty margins on either side. That said, there are plenty of creative ways to include portrait orientation photos in your slideshow if that’s what you want to do.
- How should I choose the order of my photos?
Your slideshow should have a theme or tell a story. Once you decide what you are trying to communicate with your slideshow a general order should become apparent. For example, if you are celebrating a coworker’s retirement, you might use photos that progress through his or her time with the company chronologically. Our technicians can help you decide on a good order for your photos if you request assistance.
- Can I pick my own music for the slideshow?
We offer a wide selection of royalty-free music for you to choose from.
Modern Reflections cannot provide licensed music for your slideshows because doing so would violate copyright laws. You may, however, bring in your own original albums – not home-burned CDs – by professional recording artists if there are specific songs you would like to include in your slideshow. If you do not already own physical copies of the songs you wish to include, we can purchase them for you. If you choose this option, the cost of the music will be added to the total cost of your Modern Reflections order and upon project completion you will receive the music CD we purchased for you.
Please refer to our copyright policy here (link) for further information.